Sunday, August 12, 2012

An Eventful Trip to Kigali

We left right after breakfast on Thursday. Peter and Daniel went down to the bus park and I went as far as the end of the street our house is on. They got tickets and had the bus come around and pick me up. I don't know what reason was given to the bus driver, but it sure was nice not to have walked to the bus park. I had sent my bag with Peter and only had with me a bottle of water and my cane umbrella.

So we all left the house at the same time, which meant of course that I'd be waiting for a time at my spot. Just so happened I caused a little attraction. Three guys were hauling bricks from some spot to the bar/restaurant where I was standing just outside of. There were two wheel barrels so one fellow was hauling them on his head. One of the wheel barrel operators knew quite a bit of English and thought he'd like to talk with me. Of course this stopped all work. At first I wasn't really understanding what he was wanting, but then it's not hard to catch on. He wanted me to give him something so I offered him my water! The conversation went on from there about his schooling and how much he was making at the job he was doing, etc. What he really wanted was money. Meanwhile a few people who had taken that street were stopping to see what was going on. And eventually 'the boss' came walking by and in his statements to the fellows I heard the word 'umuzungu'! Of course it didn't take long to figure out the “I don't pay you to talk to a umuzungu ........” was being said and more!  It really wasn't my fault.

Thankfully the bus was soon coming up the street, turned around and parked in front of me. I got on with all eyes on the bus watching. Thankfully, Peter and Daniel grabbed my arms and pulled me in and I was soon seated just inside the door, and we were off to Kigali. About 2.5 hrs later we arrived. Peter had phoned a friend Alain and he was very soon there to pick us up and took us to the doctor's office.

I hobbled in (due to my joint inflammation) to the office, and was soon looked after. I ended getting a shot in the hip for the pain and swelling, which in an hour or so was working it's wonders! And did so for the next 12 hrs. He took a blood sample and wrote a prescription for Meloxicam (a medication for Rheumatoid Arthritis – and that will be another blog on what it is that I have), and the sample came back negative. We called Alain to come and take us to our next stop and Thanked him for his services. He later brought Kaely his wife by to see us, and we had a wonderful visit with them.

We continued on with things we needed to do as I was getting better with each passing minute. The pain was leaving and the swelling was going. I could tell as my runners were feeling loose on my feet.

Okay so this is getting a little long! I ended the day feeling just great! But by the next morning I was pretty much back to where I was when we started the day before. Grrrrr! Obviously the prescription drug was not working, and even though he said that one a day would be okay, I could take two and I was sure going to do that, but without relief. Peter & I still had a list of things to do, so we went at it right away and didn't get back to the base (the YWAM base was where we were staying for the two nights in Kigali) till about 5:30 PM on Friday. And after dealing with the banking situation (and I'm not going into the details of that – you can imagine what you like, but we did get 'the money'!!!), I was done for the day and the next, both physically and mentally!

Peter met with Alex on Saturday at 8 AM and the two were shopping for furniture for 'Ashes to Worship Ministry' and our house! We were planning on renting a truck to take it out to Nyagatare the same day. Well that did happen, but it ended up being much later than Peter and I had thought it would.

At about 5 PM, we had Alex go with the truck and driver, to deliver the goods to the school building and our house, and with enough money to pay the driver. Good thing we did, as the bus we took to take back had problems.  Just a little over half way home the headlights on the bus stop working. The driver used his four way flashers to guide him. There were times when he would, on purpose, hog the road when a vehicle came up behind us, as that vehicle's lights helped our driver. He finally made arrangements for another bus to follow us and show us the way, but that wasn't there all the time. So the 2.5 hr. ride home ended up being 4 hrs. And we still had to walk from where we were dropped off!

Good thing for cell phones in this country! We had contact with Alex and his deliveries and also with Daniel who was available to be at the house to unlock the gate for the stuff to be dropped off at the house! Daniel then had time even to come to the road, with our flashlight, to walk back with us to the house. We could have done it ourselves (my phone has a flashlight) but it just goes to show how considerate and helpful the Rwandans are!

Not sure how many times I cried during the weekend – but it wasn't all because of pain! It was because of the love the Rwandans have for others and the extent they will go to show it!

Thanks Daniel, Alain & Kaely, Doc Jesse, Bank Manager, Alex and the bus drivers!!!!!

And Thank You God for taking care of us all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment