Wednesday, May 30, 2012

With Love

The last few days have been very harried!

(harried adj : troubled persistently especially with petty annoyances) 
(Peter says that's me!)

And with all that is going on, I'm trying my hardest to finish a book so that I don't have to take it to Africa. (Those of you who are still reading the book you may not want to continue reading this till you are finished it!)


Page 221, when I started reading the hymn they had at her Memorial Service - ...

All the Way My Saviour Leads Me,
cheers each winding path I tread,
gives me grace for every trial,
feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
and my soul athirst may be,
gushing from the rock before me, 
to a spring of joy I see!
(Frances Jane Crosby van Alstyne 1823-1915, The Hymnary, 1971)

... made me cry, and pray that I would always remember to be led by My Saviour,
and, then continued reading - the Prayer of St. Francis: (recited by the congregation)

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console:
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned, 
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen

Reading her story has been good for me as we are preparing to go. Her determination, her love of God, her love for helping others, has been an inspiration for me. I've always loved missionary stories. This one of course, has been even more inspiring, as she is related to me.

To go back to the beginning of this post - having been 'harried', I haven't always displayed christian virtues in these last few days! So reading the book has been a good reminder! And being that I'm not taking the book with me, I wanted to remember some of it here.

Patricia Wotton did excellent work putting the book together. It is a great book of Canadian History, and a great book showing the love Lydia had for ministry and people.

2 comments:

  1. Marlene Pannenbecker says: It is hard getting ready to leave for 2 years.....you are excused for not always acting like a nice "christian" woman (at least by me anyway) I love you both so much, I am excited for your journey to begin. I will miss you both but with the computer & skype.....it is so much easier. Travel safe, smile often, hug many......love you bunches !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leona Maye Kent says: Very good blog, Diane, thanks for the reminder to us all.

    ReplyDelete