Sunday, July 10, 2011

Favor Gabriella

Favor is her name, and she's 3 weeks old. 
She was born just after we got here. 
Today we went to visit her, Jaggen, Ruth and brother Praise!

If you notice above my head is a picture of their family without the newest addition. We were able to take a family picture and give them a copy. Praise God for digital cameras and computers!

It is culturally acceptable to call the father of the family "Papa and then the name of the youngest child" - 'Papa Favor', and the mother too - 'Mama Favor'.

Some of the other students in our class are young, and so therefore to show respect to us they will do things for us, and they want to call us 'Papa ___ and Mama ___". One of the gals asked me the names of our children and at the end of the conversation she said that she would like to call me "Mama John"! I'm not so sure that I'd respond to that as I'm not used to it, but it was very nice of her to show me respect in that way. It makes Peter and I feel accepted by these dear young Christians that we are studying with.

5 comments:

  1. what a great little peak into live in Rwanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlene Pannenbecker says: so adorable..thanks for sharing that with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther Lee says: momma John vs gramma Johnny,....not to big a stretch , did she know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leona Maye Kent says: I agree with Esther---(that in of itself is a little scary!). Anyway, mama john and gramma johnny, good fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you can still play Grandma (or rather Mama _________). Hope you can hold and meet Daeton on your visit back to Canada!

    ReplyDelete